Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Leadership in the Church 2

Hello "Christ-seekers!!" We are continuing our discussion of Leadership in the church. Why do we need Pastors? (Hebrews 10:17) says, "Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you." So we have leaders in our life to keep watch over us and to guide us. Much like countries have Presidents, corporations have CEO's and churches have Pastors. So it is very imporant that are leaders are chosen carefully. What makes a good leader? In my opinion, one of the best attributes a leader can have is to lead by example. There is nothing worse than a someone who is appointed to lead and does not live what he/she preaches. For me to want to follow you I have to know that you have been through and overcame some of the obstacles that I will be facing. It is easier for me to respect someone that I know lives right. Now that is just how I feel, but what does the Bible say? Peter confirms the interchangeable nature of the words "pastor" and "elder," when he exhorts the "elders" to "be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers – not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve" (I Peter 5:2, NIV). The word "elder" is also used, on occasion, to denote an older person (I Timothy 5:1), but a pastor need not be an "elder" in the sense of age. Timothy, after all, was evidently fairly young (his mother and grandmother both apparently still living) and was taking over as head pastor in Ephesus (I Timothy 4:12). A pastor is, however, not to be a "novice" to the Christian faith (I Timothy 3:6) and must accept the responsibility of leading by example (I Timothy 4:12). A Pastor's responsibility is very great. He is charged by the Word of God to "feed the flock". I believe that feeding the flock implies feeding God's people His Word. It is the Shepherd, or, Pastor's responsibility to not only understand and study the bible for himself, but also to pass on his knowledge to the members of his church through teaching and preaching. So now we are clear why we have Pastors. Tomorrow we are going to discuss what the sheep's responsibility is in following the man of God and what we should look for when looking for a good leader. So tune in tomorrow for "The Truth of the Matter. Knowing the truth about everything really does matter!"

No comments:

Post a Comment